Now who doesn't love a sponge cake?! We certainly do! Especially when it's lower in calories, has a lot less sugar and is paired with our amazing 93% less sugar Blackcurrant Jam! This sponge cake comes in at only 110 calories and 10g protein per slice! If you haven't tried our Blackcurrant Jam yet, you are going to love it! With just the right amount of sweetness and tartness, this recipe makes for the most delicious cake ever!
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees fan and line a square baking tin with baking paper
2. In a large mixing bowl and using an electric whisk, whisk the egg whites until they are light and fluffy
3. Now add in the flour, baking powder, Vanilla Barista Syrup, yogurt and milk and stir through until fully combined
4. Pour your sponge mixture into the lined baking tin before swirling through the Blackcurrant Jam
5. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the sponge has risen and is starting to golden in colour
6. Allow the sponge to cool as you make the icing
7. Mix the cream cheese, yogurt, Vanilla Barista Syrup and protein powder together until you have a nice smooth icing (an electric whisk might be preferred) and smooth the icing onto the top of the cake
8. Add blobs of the Blackcurrant Jam to the icing and swirl through using a cocktail stick (be careful not to break the cake, do this gently)
9. Cut into 9 servings and enjoy!
If you make this delicious recipe at home, don't forget to take a picture and tag us in on social media, we would love to see!
Comments will be approved before showing up.